Andrew J. Abrams
BA, History and Political Science, University of Illinois, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1997
JD, University of Chicago, 2000
State of Illinois
United States District Courts of the Northern District of Illinois, Western District of Wisconsin and Northern District of Indiana
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
More from Boodell & Domanskis, LLC
Andrew J. Abrams is an experienced commercial attorney handling a broad range of commercial transactions and business disputes for clients. Andrew’s experience includes banking, real estate, corporate, and workout transactions, negotiating and drafting day-to-day agreements for clients, and litigating in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts. Andrew has counseled all levels of employees at larger organizations and middle market companies as well as entrepreneurial business owners. Andrew concentrates his practice in commercial lending, real estate, insolvency and creditors’ rights matters, and commercial litigation.
Andrew has represented lenders in commercial loan documentation, troubled loan workouts, and enforcement proceedings, real estate owners and investors in purchases, sales, and leases of commercial real estate, and acted as de facto general counsel for clients with responsibility for drafting (or reviewing) and negotiating a variety of agreements used in their day-to-day operations. His extensive litigation and insolvency experience has informed his transactional and corporate practice, allowing him to prepare agreements and to structure transactions with a view to potential litigation challenges as well as to minimize bankruptcy risks. Andrew has particular experience counseling real estate investors in the acquisition of distressed real estate through note sales.
Before joining Boodell & Domanskis, LLC, Andrew practiced at two Chicago law firms.
- Negotiated, documented and closed workout of bank client’s then largest troubled loan relationship totaling approximately $22 million of indebtedness spread over eight loans and secured by seven real properties and then, one year later, handled all aspects of note sale of same portfolio.
- Represented regional bank in negotiating, documenting, and closing $10MM credit facility to industrial customer secured by commercial real estate located in multiple states and other collateral.
- Represented national bank in negotiating, documenting, and closing $7.5MM credit facility to industrial customer secured by commercial real estate and other collateral, including taking assignment of position of existing bond holder.
- Represented national bank in negotiating, documenting, and closing $5MM credit facility to finance acquisition of manufacturer by customer.
- Represented community bank, and following bank’s closing, the FDIC, as receiver, in multiple Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings involving several grocery stores and related single-asset real estate case. Engagement involved resolving cash collateral issues, obtaining automatic stay relief and then conducting UCC sale of one of debtor’s estate’s assets and prosecuting related litigation against guarantors.
- Representing lenders in numerous commercial foreclosure proceedings in state and federal courts, often involving successful defense of borrower counterclaims, securing appointment of receivers, litigation of mechanic’s liens, appellate matters and consummation of deed-inlieu transactions and consent foreclosures.
- Represented real estate investment fund in several note sales for troubled commercial real estate loans then subject to foreclosure proceedings. Post-closing, engagement included completing foreclosures, addressing tenant issues, and preparing new leases for commercial tenants.
- Consummated out-of-court resolution for bank client involving loans to borrowers operating two restaurants. Engagement included obtaining consent foreclosures on real estate and personal property collateral, settlement of deficiency and allowance for borrower’s limited use and occupancy of property pending sale by lender.
- Represented real estate investor in negotiating, documenting, and closing sales of retail properties throughout the United States.
- Represented lender in commercial foreclosure proceedings involving hotel properties throughout the Midwest, including defense of lender liability action. Engagement included argument before the United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented lender in successful workout of $10MM in loans secured by commercial properties by short sale on favorable terms following consummation of forbearance agreement.
- Served as outside general counsel for technology company in negotiating and preparing intellectual property agreements, joint venture agreements and vendor agreements for business development team.
- Represented secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, creditors’ committees, trustees, landlords and equipment lessors in all aspects of Chapter 7 and 11 insolvency proceedings, including automatic stay and cash collateral disputes, preference, fraudulent transfer, and other avoidance proceedings, pursuing landlord remedies (both inside and outside bankruptcy proceedings), and defending against claim objections.
- Handled variety of commercial litigation matters, including replevin, breach of contract, priority disputes under the Uniform Commercial Code, “piercing the corporate veil” actions, fraudulent transfer and related collection (including post-judgment) actions.
ACTIVITIES & ASSOCIATIONS
- Andrew is a member of the Executive Council of the Bankruptcy Section of the Commercial Law League of America, the Chicago Bar Association (Real Estate Committee) and the Illinois State Bar Association (Commercial Banking, Collections & Bankruptcy Section). Andrew has previously served on the Board of Directors for the Jewish Community Center of Chicago (2010-2012).
- Andrew has been recognized by Leading Lawyers (2016-2017) as an Emerging Lawyer in the areas of Banking & Financial Institutions Law, Bankruptcy & Workout Law: Commercial, and Creditor’s Rights/Commercial Collections Law
- Andrew was selected as an Illinois Rising Star (Banking) and recognized as a top rated Creditor Debtor Rights Attorney by Super Lawyers (2014-2015).