Margaret F. Sauser
BA, Rhetoric and English, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, 1986
JD, IIT Chicago Kent College of Law, 1990
State of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
Margaret F. Sauser is a skilled counselor, litigator, trial and transactional attorney who has practiced law for twenty years. Meg has represented buyers, sellers, landlords and tenants in various real estate transactions. She has obtained judgments in forcible entry and detainer actions, litigated the Illinois Real Estate Property and Disclosure Act, and succeeded in two condemnation suits. She has provided counsel and performed work for condominium associations, medical professionals, designers and other small business owners.
Upon graduation, Meg joined the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office where she became a First Chair Criminal Prosecutor trying hundreds of felony and misdemeanor cases. After her success in the criminal division, Meg moved to the civil division where she actively defended the County in various tort, medical malpractice, and federal complex litigation matters. Meg helped create new law under the Tort Immunity Act and worked on a number of high profile hate-crime, construction-design and guardianship cases. Meg judged trial advocacy classes at the Chicago Kent College of Law and she was a member of the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office Speakers Bureau.
In 1994, Meg joined Clausen Miller as a senior litigator. Meg successfully developed case plans and litigated medical malpractice, insurance coverage, and products liability cases. Meg also helped train junior litigation associates. Meg founded her own practice in 1997 working predominately in real estate law.
- Represented prominent North Shore Builder with various residential developments.
- Successfully obtained favorable settlements in condemnation suits.
- Representation of private owners in defending against lien claims by subcontractors, material suppliers and laborers.
- Obtained judgments in forcible entry and detainer actions on behalf of Landlord.
- Prepared and negotiated leases for North Shore retail shopping center.
- Successfully settled disputes and lawsuits involving Landlord Tenant Ordinance.
- Prepared employment agreements and independent contractor agreements for various real estate brokers and small business owners.
- Represented buyers and sellers in purchases, sales and 1031 exchanges.
- Represented buyers in foreclosure and short sale transactions.
- Assisted bank in mechanics lien foreclosure action and short sale transaction.
- Successfully represented buyers and seller in breach of contract and misrepresentation cases relating to mortgage contingency provision and real property disclosure law.
- Successfully litigated HIPAA violations in Administrative Proceedings against DCFS.
- Successfully represented Buyers in adverse possession matters.
Activities & Associations
- Meg is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and the American Bar Association.